Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Habits die hard !


Since I was a kid, I was given a very weird conception, which was drilled into my head : Hindi film songs are BAD. My mother practises Rabindrasangeet and I used to learn it too. Indian traditional music flows in our blood. We also appreciate Indian Classical Music.

Naturally, I grew a genuine taste of rabindrasangeet and classical music which later turned into love and now an obsession. Though I cant perform Indian classical music as I didn't have any formal coaching, but still now I sing Rabindrasangeet.

On the other hand, my school friends were much 'updated' with their stocks always pumped up with the lastest movie songs and the latest international tracks. Though in my eyes I was alright but still at times I felt (and still feel) left out from the group. From this I developed the habit of 'Least Speech' and naturally, I became the least noticed, boring person in the group, but the best listener!

Whenever they had an antakshari I preferred not to participate and watch the proceedings from a corner instead. As usual, I adored many of the hindi tracks, but as I didnt develop the practice of humming them out, ever, I just couldn't sing them. I can point out the most trivial mistakes when someone tries to sing them but I can never sing them myself. Honestly, still now, I am a college student, but I feel shy to sing Hindi songs aloud.

It has grown into a habit to just listen to hindi and english songs but never to try them out myself. Today, in the Kolkata Bookfair, when I met some of my friends, they were strumming the guitar and churning out the popular tracks one by one. Everybody, ranging from very good singers to ones who recite instead of singing, were participating freely and having total masti. But somehow I didn't feel to participate and chose only to listen to them. Some TV channels came and took their interviews. As always, I chose to keep away from the limelight. These are the times when I really wish that I could get up and sing like them, dance like them and have masti like them!

Habits do die hard!

No comments: