Monday, July 04, 2005

Bokaro : from an AC capsule !

Bokaro Steel City, as it is called, is a very planned city and is the heart of all the steel production in India. Our interest in Bokaro was not due to its economic importance but as the residential city of my cousin’s husband & the place of the reception for the newly-wed couple.

The father of the bride being the CGM of a BSNL branch, all the services provided by the government was exploited, but still he had to pay a great deal to carry 25 people to Bokaro and back, with their lodging, fooding and transport.

This was the most extraordinary tour I ever had in my life (I’m not saying ‘best’…). Let me explain.

We went out from our respective houses in Kolkata at around 5am to catch the train in AC cars.
The train was AC.
The hotel in Bokaro (Bokaro Hotel) was AC.
The reception room was AC.
All the transports we used in there were AC.

Maybe in Western countries, were the temperature is insufferable, this is quite common. But to us, ol’ Indians, this is quite ‘entertaining’ to some and ‘awkward’ to others (like me).

To get the ‘flavour’ of a certain place in my opinion you should be able to ‘feel’ that place. If the temperatures of Kashmir and Rajasthan are the same, then it’ll be very boring and fake. While wandering through the jungles, you must be attacked by the wild, like leeches, ants, etc while in the mountains you must have a frost-bite, while in the sea you must get sand in your eyes and have a taste of the salty water. Otherwise, there’d be no difference in them.

Though this wasn’t an adventurous tour for us and there were elderly people with us, still I missed ‘it’. I felt sleepy throughout this highly comfortable tour.

I hope to hear some news from Abhijitkaku for some plans in the Puja holidays or even in the Christmas holidays. I’m dying to leave this jungle of concretes and breathe some fresh air, free from the pollution and the crowd.

No comments: